Finally watched Beethoven's Emperor Concerto live at MPO. It was conducted by Claus Peter Flor, the Music Director of the MPO and performed by Ronald Brautigam. While both are in their late ages, Brautigam's spirited white hair which reminds me of an estranged professor takes control of the stage. He is certainly a seasoned pianist, leading the first movement with grace (although I prefer a little more force at parts). The second movement was appropriately graceful and melancholic, but not altogether sad. The last movement was full of energy, and this is where you truly see his fortitude and technique shine. To be honest, I was kind of lulling (but not dozing off yet) during the first two movements, but shaken myself to be fully attentive for the rest.
I need to stop comparing current pianists with the legends. That and the Petronas Philharmonic Hall is not big enough to suit a piano concerto, placing the piano too close with the main ensemble, drowning the acoustics a little. Lastly, the piano seems to be a little overpadded, but maybe it's just me.
Brahms's 4th Symphony is an appropriate second half of the concert, now giving Flor space to manouvre. It's grandiose and totally immersive, but I don't get why Brahms had to make the 4th movement so jumpy. Hmmm.
Great experience overall.
No comments:
Post a Comment