Sunday, April 1, 2012

Of Smoke, Onlookers, and My Body

Today was a very tiring Ching Ming experience, which as many of you Malaysian Chinese would know, involves families going to their ancestors' graves to clean up and offer booty and respect. Starting this year's day with a bad sore throat and not enough sleep, I was pondering the damage we actually do to the Earth (and somehow in other aspects, ourselves) when Hijau by Zainal Abidin played on the morning radio.

The amount of smoke in the graveyard areas were bad as usual, although somehow the sun was forgiving despite the total lack of clouds like previous years. As Chinese burn paper gold and silver as well as other paper goods fashioned to look like household objects (or houses in that matter), there were puffs of smoke in all directions, each coloured depending on the intensity of the inks used in the paper products. I've even heard that people burnt petrol staions and iPads...

The queue to my grandfather's grave, which was in Ipoh instead of with the other three in Bidor, was horrid. When we finally got to the entrance, there were no actual reason for the traffic jam (other than idiots cutting queue and people stopping by the main temple at the bottom of the compound). Silly.

On the way back from Ipoh, we encountered various traffic nuisances. Can we stop looking at accidents and slow down? Seriously. A 2-hour journey became a 4.5-hour journey because of people trying to get the numbers of the cars involved in the accident to buy lottery tickets. Silly.

I need to listen to my body more. Not that I haven't been doing so at all, but at times I have no idea why I get sick and all. I hope I survive tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. luckily we did ours last week.. so jam at all.. :)
    have a great week ahead

    ReplyDelete

Nuffnang