Monday, April 9, 2012

How To Make Piperade

Piperade is a french sauce/soup made mainly with peppers. I made a batch as the base for my confit biyaldi I'm making two days later. It's really simple, really.

1. Roast peppers, turning them over once in a while to let the exterior caramelise evenly. Put them in a bowl and cover with cling wrap until is returns to room temperature, then peel skin off, remove core and seeds, then dice. (I made an impatient mistake here of not waiting for it to cool down, silly me.)
2. Take one can of whole tomatoes (You can use 4 whole read tomatoes if you can find really nice ones (by foreign standards, that is)). Dice. Reserve liquid in can.
3. Add olive oil to pan. Saute tomatoes in its juice for a while. Add diced peppers shortly after.
4. Simmer on very low heat with lid of pan tight, stirring every 20 minutes and adding water when it gets too thick. Generally a basic piperade is done in about 30 minutes with one stir, but I decided to let it stew for longer to develop a more intense flavour.
5. Serve with eggs, meat or as a soup. Or make confit biyaldi like me.

The original recipe has onions and garlic too (useful easy flavours to add), but I'm making this edible for my mum, who is on a lifelong satya vegan diet. Can't wait for tomorrow for more cooking!

Managed to gym today too, somehow. Realised I'm not fully well yet.

Missing some friends. I hope they miss me as much.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Nuffnang