Thursday, April 19, 2012

Adrenal Fatigue

I've always wondered why I can still feel dehydrated although I drink a lot of water. Then today I found something in Google: Adrenal Fatigue.

Adrenals are two small glands sitting on top of our kidneys, and along with the thyroid, creates energy and secretes important hormones, in this case, aldosterone. Aldosterone is secreted to regulate water levels and the concentration of minerals, like sodium, in your body to keep you hydrated. Because the adrenals are also responsible for regulating stress responses, a high level of stress (perceived or real) will cause a surge of aldosterone to flood the blood stream. This spike of hormones will carry water out of the body unneccesarily when the stressors disappears.

Some tips I should take to heart to help myself:

1. Drink water regularly in small amounts. Drinking too fast will dilute your blood, and cause faster excretion of water by the kidneys.

2. Drink alkaline. Simplest way is to add baking soda into water, best to dilute till you reach a 8.5 to 9.0 pH level.

3. Control your blood sugar levels. Which means eat more complex carbs and eat smaller but regular meals.

4. Take care of your stressors and have sufficient quality sleep. This is probably one of the most crucial elements that I think is plaguing youths and young adults these days.

I don't know how many other people have this problem, but I hope this helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Nuffnang