Sunday, October 16, 2011

Homosexual Relationships, Marriage and Childbearing

I think the two key factors that can affect a homosexual relationship differently in comparison with the contemporary heteronormative relationships are marriage and childbearing. Marriage is, in most countries/states, still illegal. As for childbearing, it is impossible for both homosexual partners to be the actual father/mother of the child at the same time. This limitation and unique dynamic puts us at an interesting stand-off; we don't have the same emotional and moral concept of togetherness that society normalises. We don't get married, have children (of which most heteronormative men will get a wake up call of 'it's serious now' or 'I guess this is it') of which they must support together. Of course this doesn't apply to all relationships in general, even for homosexual ones, but this impossibility has put us into a different realm of which we must approach with much forethought.

Let's say, for example, that homosexual marriage is legal all over the world. Would we still have the same divorce issue that heterosexual couples face? I actually think so. The fact that it is already so hard to get through this phase makes it more valuable and more put-offish for the less serious. Not to mention that a majority of the gay world (that I know off) seem to have no problem having No Strings Attached (NSA) and/or One Night Stand (ONS) encounters for a large portion of their youth. We, as a community have not become cohesively wise yet in terms of how we handle our relationships. In fact, we might be as bad as the heteronormative community.

David Horsey, Defending the Sanctity of Marriage.
Again, this is just a thought to ponder. To those who are the committed monogamous type, I salute you much.

Here's to a great week ahead, no matter how bad you already know it will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Nuffnang