Was talking to colleagues today and some of them were impressed with a small kid with eidetic memory, which is photographic memory to the point where the individual can recall experiences to every minute details. I guess, if you had plenty of good memories, you'd really want to relive those moments again and again. But I pointed out several issues:
1. You always live in the past (not always the case, but yeah).
2. You get tired quickly because your brain takes in so much information at a go all the time.
3. You cannot forget.
I cannot express how key the third point is. Forgetting, whether it is suppression, repression or natural fading into the dark recesses of your mind, is an important human reflex. It helps preserve our thought patterns, limits our emotional baggage and keeps you going on to experience and learn new things.
It is the total opposite of retrograde amnesia to some sorts, but I'd rather not have either.
I really need to write another smart post soon, I think I'm dumbing down slowly.
Meh.
No comments:
Post a Comment