Back in University, one of the practical exercises we had to go through was to write our own epitaph (words written on our own gravestone) and eulogy (speech given during funeral as a sign of remembrance). It was not meant to prepare us for death (although to some it is a wake-up call), but it was meant to let us reevaluate our goals and our position in the world we are living in. How would you be remembered? What would you leave behind?
Will you be leaving behind family members? Children? Your partner? No one?
Will you be remembered for your deeds? Your successes? Your achievements? What would those be? Money? Relationships? Knowledge?
Who would attend? Who would cry bitterly at the feet of your coffin? Who would mourn and grief? Who would continue on with their lives seeing you as just another checkpoint in their journey? Who would not even care?
How would your funeral be? Festive? Monotonous? Melancholic?
Who would speak your Eulogy? Would he/she be proud of you?
Is it a celebration? Is it otherwise?
Hmmm.
Am I scared of death? Not really. Am I scared of the pain of dying? Obviously.
Will I be satisfied if I die now? Nope!
How am I going to live this life of mine?
This Saturday is a rest day. Not my choice per se, but I better be fully well tomorrow then.
cliche it might sound, I live my life as though it's the last day and I am not afraid of death. I can (cause I have done alot of things that I set out for) but I don't want to just yet.
ReplyDelete