Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Push and Shove Food Into Mouth, Swallow, Don't Vomit and Reward with Culture

Was too unmotivated to blog although I did have content, but here's a photo-laden update.

Over the weekend, I bought my very first ever original album:

Push and Shove, No Doubt
I'm proud of myself. It's not a big feat or anything, but I've finally come to the point that I can selectively support artistes which I love. It is an album with mixed songs, but stays true to their roots in ska rock.

Another great person I'm looking out for is Melanie Masson of the X Factor UK. She probably won't win (because she doesn't seem to have mass appeal), but if she releases anything I'll buy it. Shut up and take my money.

Every Time You Go Away, Melanie Masson

I had a close friend come up from Singapore during the weekend too, and he recommended and lent me a book: The Four Hour Body by Tim Ferris. I'm not a person who likes to subscribe to a specific health paradigm that fast, but the arguments in the book is compelling, and I decided to try the Slow Carb Diet (I started this Monday) and also Occam's Protocol (probably starting next week). for perhaps a month and see what happens. I liked the analogy called The Harajuku Moment (which is something I kind of already know, simply a tipping point, but I liked the choice of words he used which happened to coincide with Gwen Stefani's love for Harajuku culture).

The Harajuku Moment
The Malaysian diet availability is not very conducive to the Slow Carb Diet, and diet is key to the success of the workout system (like every other program). It's nothing new to need to stuff your body with food, and technically I get the freedom to load up on anything that's allowed to unlimited amounts (and also have several ingredients that I can eat in small amounts, like nuts and butter).

There is also a sad disparity in pricing of goods in Malaysia. My staple for lunch for this diet is cap fan or mixed rice, where I include two vegetables (usually spinach which is highly recommended and another choice vegetable or beans which almost never appear) and one protein, and obviously exclude rice. This was what I had yesterday:

Slow Carb Diet, Lunch 1
Guess how much it costed? Ten freaking Ringgit. I could buy 4 raw huge chicken breasts for that money (or perhaps even more). Today I ate lunch at a shop just at the opposite corner of the same row of shophouses:


This only costed Four Ringgit. I could buy 2.5 times what I bought yesterday. I think even these food operators should still be bound to some sort of consumer board control, tsk.

Will update the blog with my progress with the diet and workout.

Other than that, I'm just flowing through life.

Oh! And enjoyed my MPO concert last weekend too. They were playing Beethoven's Symphony No.1 and No. 3 (Eroica). I was worried that I wouldn't be in the mood to fathom that music, but it was the perfect pieces for that moment for me. :3 Happy days indeed. With the Ovation concert coming up this weekend and Yundi Li and my godbro's performance next month, I'm musically fed well. So happy!

2 comments:

  1. Unfortunately I doubt they can place a cap on economy rice. OPerators would probably still be able to charge what they like. Just don't go back to the expensive store.

    ReplyDelete

Nuffnang