Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Of Multilingual Eunuch's, Post-Midnight Assholes, and Good Byes

The Empress Wu musical at KLPac was such a great experience! The dialogues were in English, but the singing and the honorary titles and greetings were in Mandarin, giving the musical a very fusion theme. However, the content and the script was written in such a way where the historical importance was retold in a relevant yet objective manner. The costumes and set changes were impressive, making use of depth of the audience's vision, directive lighting and a multitude of textures to great effect. Two Eunuchs became semi-narrators of the entire show, showcasing a classical angel and devil element and inserting humour to great effect.
The Empress Wu Musical.
Just, wow. Thanks to my mum for getting me tickets at such short notice. I even set third row from the front in the main auditorium, which meant I could see everything to even greater detail.

Then horror struck.

On my way home, an idiot car who was driving parallel to me suddenly started eating into my lane and I could see that he did not see me. I slammed on the brakes and kinda did a whiplash flick of the steering wheel to the left (and I would lie if I said I wasn't panicking at that exact moment).

Then I heard the loud "BZZQTTKXKXKDDDDDTTT".

Crap.

The car started to feel like the entire left side of the front of the car had been decimated. I quickly made way to the most safe spot on a sloped highway area to survey the damage, keeping my fingers crossed at all time.

I came out and was shocked at first. I couldn't spot any damage on the car. It took me a few seconds more than what a normal person would have taken to see that I only burst my tyre (note that I used burst instead of puncture). I was practically driving on my wheel and a scrapped tyre for a few hundred metres. Took me about 30 minutes to change the tyre, not because I'm clueless, but because it was quite a steep slope and Toyota was an ass for keeping the car jack under the front passenger seat for I-have-no-idea-what-reasons.

I was more irritated an annoyed by that driver with car WNM 6228/6628 (can't remember clearly) than was I scared.

Ass.

Have been feeling lethargic these two days despite having sufficient sleep (7-8 hours).

Oh, and I would like to dedicate today towards a person I have never met, a friend of many friends, but mostly, a stranger. Edwin Siaw, whose condition over the past 2 weeks have gone viral over Facebook, has passed away. I shall not pretend that I am extremely sorrowful, or that I care that much to the point that I share his memorial photos with my friends and visit him. However, it doesn't mean that I am indifferent. I know what I am to him: as much a stranger as he is to me, yet I love him as much as I would love any other human being. I'm not the one to mourn for him and comfort the grieving ones in his inner and outer circles. I am just a good soul, reaching into what remains of his memories and connections to other people to appreciate his existence in this world, the legacy he has left behind during this past 24 years.

God bless you Edwin Siaw Won Kien, 1988-2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Nuffnang