Every year, it has become a tradition for me and my high school friend to volunteer at the Maha Vihara temple in Brickfields for Wesak Day. It is even more surprising to many, even to my friend to this day, that I still maintain this practice, seeing that I am already a Christian for several years. To me, helping others is a symbol of love, and I don't know about your god (or lack thereof) my God tells me to love others as much as myself.
It was the first time I helped to pack food in the kitchen for dinner meals, and it is no joke how many people the kitchen actually feeds. Even after almost two hours of hard labour in assembly line fashion, the shelves at the back was still not completely filled with polystyrene packets of rice and dishes. (Not to mention the minor drama that ensued between the Head of Kitchen and the Head Chef and the rest of us, but that is another story.) This is also the first year I have stayed on for so long till about 10pm. It was very tiring but I felt good about myself at the end. It took me the entire of today just to recover, but it's okay as some sacrifices are worth it.
My godbro happened to visit this temple this very year, and I also saw an old colleague. I thought I would see more, but maybe I wasn't observant and/or I was out of sight.
I'll just let the pictures of the floats speak for themselves. These are all taken on my Samsung Galaxy S II with Camera360 with some filters applied for some of them. (The undated photos are probably the originals.)
Happy Wesak again to you!











No comments:
Post a Comment