Tuesday, May 28, 2013

True Wanderlust

'Gays love to travel. Period.'


Well, first up I disagree. I honestly believe that many gay people (and straight people too) do not understand the true meaning of travel, and they simply enjoy it as 1. a status symbol of freedom and independence to be able to see the world, 2. a purely hedonistic act of appreciating beauty of people and places, and also 3. an escape from the reality they are leaving behind, however briefly. They stay in good hotels, they never leave their comfort zones, they embrace only the positive and the aesthetically pleasing. These are valid reasons, but they aren't paramount to deeper forms of wanderlust. These are not enough.

When was the last time you were lost?

Travelling is not just about being at a completely new place physically, but also emotionally and mentally. It is about living as a nomad and seeing things through others' perspectives. It is about losing ourselves and immersing into a breathtaking new world without any qualms or any reservations. It is about the opportunity to be the unknown and be any person you want to be.

You learn lessons. You make mistakes too. You get scared and broken. You get surprised. When you truly travel, you come back a different person. You change.

You do not even need to travel far. How well do you know where you come from? I'm a Pee Jay bred boy and I still don't know it as well as I would like it.

For some of us, we only need to look up at the sky. For some of us, we only need to open a book.

Open up your minds.

Embrace the wanderlust.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Nuffnang