I always told myself that sometime down the road, my caring nature will make me want to raise a child, and it all depends on my partner too anyway. I do have friends who are willing to take all responsibility of raising a child on their own despite whatever the partner wants, but I want the child to have two parents (even if it is two fathers).
However the recent case of William Yau being found dead for a week in the Klang River is retchingly discomforting. Yes, the parents were partly at fault for leaving the children unattended. Yes, the parents should have come up with some kind of a code for the children to follow when left alone. But I think there's something terribly wrong about the world that we are living in, a very wrong kind of wrong.
I'm, for one, a person who believes that our children should be able to explore and be protected in an open environment, and when I say this, I don't mean that the child has to be accompanied to every restroom break or walked hand-in-hand from the car to the front gate of the school. The fact that we have to be so cautious and critical with the way we handle our children means that our children will grow up to trust less easily, and this is not a community I want to contribute towards.
I say all of this now, but maybe raising a child is that worth it in the long run. I'll see when the time comes.
Have a great long weekend guys (and gals)!
No comments:
Post a Comment