Okay, I don't think I am a party popper, but I hate how the gay community is cornering themselves into an alcove where diversity is less encouraged and we actually 'have' to fit into a role that is 'expected' of us. What exactly does that even mean? Many of us would have already known by now; that gay people can be one of the most shallow, materialistic, judgmental and biased people you can ever know. And if we want people to see us for who we are, respect us and accept us for our entire self, we cannot keep going down this broken path.
1. Gays do not have to talk about gay stuff. What is that anyway? Hot guys? I'm sorry, but that belongs to girls too. Fashion? Ditto. Art? There are plenty of heteronormative creatives around. Yes, I know we are already so stifled to talking about these topics with ordinary people (sometimes because we refuse to be out to them, and that is acceptable, but sometimes also because we do not want to cause them any discomfort, and that is acceptable too), but we can talk about so many other stuff. Limiting ourselves will bring ourselves to shallow waters, instead of exploring the deep blue sea.
2. Gays need to stop labeling. Yes it helps a little (stereotyping is the brain's response to simplify the environment around them so that less mental processes are used), but we should be the most accepting individuals, most responsive and open to diversity and differences, more engaging in various fields and subject matter, and in all, more human. There is no set rule. And stop expecting the same of your partners, embrace their differences and their uniqueness.
At this point I realised that my other points aren't valid (point 1 makes it barely, as it skims on the issue of depth mostly). Everyone has the right to decide what kind of a life they want to live (although psychologists and anthropologists will argue that their decisions have actually already been set the moment they gain preconceptions of what it really means). You can choose to be gay however you want to be, even if it falls on a very steep-centred normal 'tower' curve.
Sigh.
Please people. Show some depth. And to those who are, stop being asses (the idiot type, not the bottoms).
Peace out.
No comments:
Post a Comment